Monday, March 24, 2014

How Simple Gift Taught Me About Motherhood


What a Simple Gift Taught Me About Motherhood

Main Entry Image

by Carolyn Ossorio
   I peel apples. Today it's juicy, sweet, Pink Ladies. I also enjoy Braeburn, Honey crisp, Granny Smith. Of course, Gravenstein's are the best, but have the shortest growing season. As I peel, my seven-month-old sits gurgling in his highchair.

   People say having kids changes you. I have five, so I feel pretty confident in attesting that there is truth to this. But even I am amazed by how much I've been transformed.
I stand next to my son, enjoying his coos and the rhythmic sensation of my hands as they core, quarter and slice apples into a secon- hand Le Creuset pot.

   I hum along to Erasure as I anticipate what a nice batch of apple sauce I'll have to pass out to my family, friends... maybe I'll have enough to bring to the local women's shelter.
Don't misunderstand; I'm far from a happy homemaker -- actually, I consider myself a reformed "opt-out" gift giver. There was a time when I felt homemade food gifts were what cheap people gave instead of spending money. Read more


No comments:

Post a Comment